Saturday, July 11, 2015

Introduction - I love gardening




Hello my name is Helen and I live in Melbourne Australia. This blog is about my love of gardening and in it, I hope to share with you all my experiences of growing vegetables and flowers in the warm climate of Melbourne. I was born in England and lived there until my early thirties. When I came to Australia I had to adjust to the temperature differences, and how that affected the things I chose to grow, while getting used to our seasons being the opposite to my homeland. Spring comes in September here instead of March.

I hope to take you through my growing year. Right now we are in the middle of winter and the garden is still productive. I have two gardens, one at my home and also a plot in the local community garden.  Right now both are supporting my winter crops.

In my home garden I have snow peas and sugar snaps, cauliflowers and broad beans, silver beet and lettuce.


Here are sugar snaps and snow peas

When I planted my peas I dug in some well rotted manure, mushroom compost and a sprinkling of lime.  Peas love lime.  It's still not too late to plant some peas, but better to put in plants now rather than seeds for a nice crop in spring.



This is a heritage variety that is self supporting called Novella. They have a web of tendrils that cling to each other for support, however I like to help them on their way with a few sticks.

I really do like to grow heritage varieties as they are open pollinated and enable one to collect seed that will be true to the mother plant for the following year. The variety of broad bean I am growing this year is called Chocolate and has beautiful dark flowers. I'm looking forward to seeing how well they crop.





Again it's still not too late to plant some of these lovely beans, but again I would suggest putting in plants rather than seeds as the soil is now cold.

I have quite a large vegetable plot in my home garden, but unfortunately it is shaded somewhat by the trees that grow in the house to the back of me and restricts what I can grow. However I do manage to grow an assortment of cooler weather and salad plants there.



My plot in the community garden is in full sun all day and I can grow a large variety of things very successfully there. Here's a little tour of my patch.
video
 

I hope you will keep me company as I share what I am sowing and growing in the coming year.

Happy Gardening!

6 comments:

  1. A gardening blog? Nice start! My back yard is like yours, too well shaded for sun-loving plants. I suspect Melbourne's climate is a little warmer than ours—do you get frost, and if so, when?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very rarely Larry. But it has got cold enough for snow to fall on occasions in the dandenongs about 50 mins drive from us.

      Delete
  2. I'll keep an eye on this blog, Helen. I'm not much of a gardener, but I try growing things from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you'll enjoy what you read Maria and be able to use my tips from time to time.

      Delete
  3. I have just tried my hand at gardening this year for the first time, Helen.I have a small balcony, so I have a container garden. I am trying my hand at sweet peppers, cucumbers and beefsteak tomatoes. It will be so fun to come here and learn a few things.:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent Cindy, all those things grow perfectly in tubs, but you must feed them well and keep them watered ;)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, I love to hear from my readers!